The VariCam 35 utilizes a new Panasonic super 35mm MOS sensor for 4096 x 2160 (17:9) 4K image capture; this imager when combined with the AVC-ULTRA codecs for 4K enables very manageable and practical 4K production file sizes. The new imager boasts an impressive 14+ stops of latitude, and faithfully captures high-contrast, wide dynamic range imagery without compromise. The VariCam 35 offers a choice of codecs: the well-established Apple* ProRes 4444 and ProRes 422** and Panasonic’s AVC-ULTRA family of advanced video codecs. The camera/recorder delivers an unprecedented breadth of recording formats, including 4K and UHD in AVC-ULTRA 4K, and 2K and 1080p HD in AVC-Intra 100/200*** and ProRes.
Addressing the need for high-speed file exchange, the camera encodes a high-resolution 3.5Mbs proxy in parallel with 4K and 2K production formats, enabling fast, efficient offline editing. Metadata management will also be available and any metadata is written to all recording formats to enable easy match-back to high resolution or 4K master files.
The VariCam 35 incorporates an innovative design whereby the 4K camera head is separate from but dockable to the common, shared recording module (AU-VREC1G), enabling users to switch between s35mm and VariCam HS 2/3″ camera heads to best suit their creative needs. This system flexibility can be expanded with an umbilical cable between the 4K camera and the AVC-ULTRA recorder, providing “box” camera functionality for jibs, cranes and other remote camera needs.
The VariCam 35’s In-Camera Grading feature is fully flexible, with the camera able to record an ungraded 4K master (with associated metadata grading information) and graded (baked in) HD image simultaneously. Powerful color management capabilities provide a much extended color gamut for impeccable image fidelity, and permit support for an Academy Color Encoding System (ACES) workflow for full fidelity mastering of original source material.
- To maximize the dynamic range of the recorded images, Panasonic has developed a new log curve (V-Log) which elegantly maps the 14+ stops of image data to the recorded file. The VariCam 35 permits the assignment of various LUTs to individual recording channels and camera outputs.
- Dual Codec Recording — Simultaneously records in two different formats, codecs and selectable from V-log/V-709/Grading.
- Real-time, high frame rate, variable speed 4K recording up to 120fps.
- Innovative removable control panel to facilitate real-time control and easy menu access when the camera is in a fixed or remote position.
- Production-tough aluminum alloy body to assure durability and reliability in the most challenging shooting locations.
- Newly-developed OLED electronic viewfinder (EVF) with optical zoom functionality.
- 24 bit/48 kHz, 4-channel LPCM audio for in-camera audio master recording.
- Built-in ND filters (0.6ND, 1.2ND, 1.8ND, CLEAR).
- Built-in low-pass filter tuned for 4K and UV/IR-cut filter.
- Professional interfaces include: 3G-HD-SDI x4 for 4K QUAD output; an HD-SDI out for monitoring (down-converting from 4K); a dedicated VF HD-SDI output complete with all of the EVF status and display data, and two XLR inputs to record four channels of 24-bit, 48KHz audio.
- Standard 35mm PL mount.
- Equipped with a total of four memory card slots — two for expressP2 cards and two for microP2 cards. The new 256Gbyte expressP2 card can record up to 90 minutes of 4K/4:2:2 content. The microP2 card is designed for recording HD or 2K at more typical production frame rates.
- Through a strategic product development alliance with Codex Digital, Panasonic delivers a high-speed 4K uncompressed RAW recorder for the VariCam 35 camera. This dedicated recorder captures uncompressed 4K VariCam RAW (V-RAW) at up to 120fps, bolstering the VariCam 35’s suitability for high-end cinema applications.