The SMX-15 from Azden is a battery-powered supercardioid shotgun microphone engineered to produce pro-quality sound for DSLRs and other compact cameras. Featuring the same microphone element as Azden’s professional shotguns (SGM-250 & SGM-250P), the SMX-15 is capable of capturing broadcast-quality sound, and allows you to focus on sound in front of the camera while reducing the capture of extraneous noise from the rest of the environment.
Using the built-in +20 dB gain booster to get a strong clean audio signal into your camera, the SMX-15 minimizes the need to turn up noisy preamps usually associated with DSLRs, and also includes a -10 dB pad to protect against distortion when recording in loud environments such as live concerts and motorsport events.
Furthermore, the microphone has a wide frequency response of 40 Hz to 20 kHz and has a full, natural sound. There is a low-cut filter switch for reducing low frequencies below 120 Hz, which is useful for mitigating noise caused by air conditioners, wind, and traffic noise.
Powered by two AA batteries, you can operate the microphone for approximately 24 hours with no degradation of sound quality. The battery-indicator LED light lets you know when it’s time to change batteries, providing up to a 1-hour warning beforehand.
Finally, an integrated shock-absorbing shoe mount isolates the microphone from camera-motor- and handling noise. The mount is designed to fit the standard camera shoe and comes with 1/4″-20 threads at the bottom for mounting to boom poles and other camera accessories.
- Gain Control
- The audio controls on DSLR cameras are limited, if they exist at all. And DSLRs are notoriously known to have low-quality microphone preamps that add noise to the video soundtrack when the gain is turned up. Azden’s SMX-15 has a +20 dB gain booster so you can get a strong, clean audio signal into your camera, minimizing the need to turn up the noisy preamp
- Frequency Response
- The SMX-15 has a wide frequency response ranging from 40 Hz to 20 kHz, so the audio you capture will sound full and natural
- Powered by two AA batteries, which is a lower-cost option than the 9V battery used in some competitor microphones, the SMX-15 can achieve 24 hours of operation with a single set of batteries with absolutely no degradation of sound quality
- Integrated Shock-Absorbing Shoe Mount
- Integrated into the design of the SMX-15 is a custom-made, shock-absorbing shoe mount to isolate the microphone from camera-motor- and handling noise